Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Newslinks: November 20th, 2012

I almost had nothing to say then I thought of something!

Why do I refuse to use the name Myanmar?  Well ever since Burma's junta took over, they imposed the name Myanmar and also got rid of many other colonial names.  This does not sound like that big of a deal, India got rid of their colonial names as well.  However many Burmese democratic opposition groups oppose the name change and prefer the Burma one.  The UN has recognized Myanmar, but the US and UK has not.  In international politics it is seen as if you call the country Myanmar, you're soft on the regime.  Now of course I am not in international politics but I do agree.  If they get a fully democratic government and they decide to keep the name, I will probably change as well. But as of now, out of protest, I use Burma.

Israel-Gaza

Gaza Ceasefire To Be Announced. Egypt and Hamas say ceasefire is negotiated, but Israel is denying it and intensifying attacks.  The attacks being intensified is generally a sign in war that a ceasefire is imminent.
Israel urges Gazans to evacuate their homes.  Some are ignoring the call.  One quote I saw cited "The last time they told us to leave our homes was in '48.".  People have long memories.  I doubt that THAT is why Israel is saying it, it's more than likely tied into the intensified attacks.
U.S. sends warships near Israel in case American evacuation needed.
UN rights boss, Red Cross urge Israel, Hamas to spare civilians.
Israeli-Hamas conflict creates wedge in U.S. relations with Turkey and Egypt, two key partners in Middle East.

Mid-East


Asia

Kazakh opposition leader's conviction upheld. Unrelated note. Yesterday there were articles "Astronauts land safely in Kazakhstan". And every time I saw it I kept thinking it was the name of a planet.  I blame the illness.
Afghanistan opium harvest drops by a third - UN.

Africa

Europe

U.S.

Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants.
SEC Rocked By Lurid Sex-and-Corruption Lawsuit.  Ah Rolling Stone.  One of the greatest news sources of our time. ... I wish I was kidding.

Justice

Business

Good News Keeps Coming for Housing as Starts Surge.
Court rejects Hobby Lobby's challenge to U.S. contraceptive mandate.  Take that overly Christian Company that is allegedly known to discriminate against non christian employees!

Health

Science

Monster "Super-Jupiter" discovered.  No, a giant version of the Roman God was not discovered.  This is the Science section after all.
Big News From Mars? Rover Scientists Mum For Now

Other

No comments:

Post a Comment